Thursday 4 April 2013

Thankful Thursday

I woke early this morning (0543 to be precise) after a nightmare featuring a book I read nearly 20 years ago entitled An Evil Cradling by Brian Keenan.  Once I started it I could not put it down.  It remains the most disturbing book I have read*.  For those who don't know, Brian Keenan was kidnapped in Beirut in the Lebanon in 1986 and kept hostage in terrible conditions for 4½ years.

When I woke I was aware of the sound of rain on the roof over the deck of The Cottage: a medium, persistent rain - Good Rain.  By that I mean the sort of rain that starts to soak the ground without being so heavy that it all flows off the hard-baked earth on which it falls without penetrating the surface.  The sort of rain where one can almost see the grass growing once again.

I lay for a short while thinking how Brain Keenan and other hostages kept in similar circumstances (he was blindfolded much of the time and often manacled too) must have felt.  

Nearly two hours later I'm still sitting drinking hot water and lemon and as daylight begins to penetrate the cloud (how fast the days are drawing in) and feeling so very very thankful for the warm rain which the earth here needs so much and for the freedom that I have (had I the courage) to go and dance naked in it**.  

 * A possible exception being William Golding's Lord of the Flies.  The difference being that An Evil Cradling was not fiction.

** A reference, for those who may not know nor remember, to a note I used to have on my kitchen wallboard in Eagleton "Happiness is dancing naked in the warm rain"

17 comments:

  1. Sounds nightmare material alright! I didn't even enjoy 'Not Without my Daughter' for it's scary truth. I understand it's a film now.

    Oh, and for some strange reason I read 'Lord of the Flies' in the 24 hours I was waiting for my appendix to be diagnosed as needing to come out. It was the only thing available to keep my mind off the pain.

    PS yes, as soon as we have an overcast day, suddenly it seems SO DARK so much longer! We really have had a good run this year (except for the farmers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Lord of the Flies would just have added to my pain!

      This morning after all the rain the grass has grown visibly and has started sprouting on bare patches already. Wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Just clicked on your name in comments on Frances Garrood's blog...I have been reading her for some time. I have been looking for another blog to read.....someone who posts every day ( so I don't get bored waiting for the next post) and lives somewhere that is different to my home ( Harpenden, Herts UK ) So...look forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frances. I hope that my posts don't disappoint. New Zealand and the Outer Hebrides are certainly different from Harpenden.

      Delete
  3. I read that book too and it was haunting and inspiring. Have you ever seen him talk?
    Dancing naked in the warm rain sounds quite pleasant, the operative word being "warm" at present, in England!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny I think one of the things that struck me about Brian Keenan was his lack of bitterness and his positive attitude to everything. It's probably what kept him sane and alive.

      Delete
  4. That's one book I won't be putting on my reading list, then... And I think I'll stick to indoors showers (all right as long as I'm still thankful, isn't it?) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Monica I'm very thankful for having an indoor shower too and I certainly don't ever want to read such a harrowing book again although I think reading this one really did change my attitude to life in some ways.

      Delete
    2. I did read Lord of the Flies - and rather thoroughly at that. It was one of the study course books at my first term of University English back in the mid 70s.

      Delete
  5. That must have been a horrible and savage experience for Mr.Keenan. Somehow I don't think that I can handle horrid details of hostage abuse so I won't be reading the book or viewing the movie any time soon.
    Those gruesome details would probably haunt me as well.
    We can certainly use some of that nice soaking rain that you have described to quench our terribly parched landscape. It's April, and no sign of our April showers as yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that it was a movie Virginia and I certainly couldn't watch it. The grass is growing again here!

      Delete
  6. Great that you're getting some good moisture that is soaking in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red. It's good to see the results already.

      Delete
  7. It's those apparently simple things like being able to leave the house without constant fear of being shot (Syria) or raped (Egypt, India and countless other places where it is dangerous to be a woman, or of different skin colour, or... etc.) that make me grateful every day. What did I do to deserve being born here, in a country that has been at peace with its neighbours for a longer period than ever before in its history? Nothing; it was just coincidence, just like those less fortunate people who were born in those other countries.
    I have not read "Lord of the Flies" or "An Evil Cradling", but two books I remember of recent years as being terrible and beautiful at the same time, both by Khaled Hosseini. They are fiction but, sadly, the living conditions described are only too real for too many peole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Meike we are indeed fortunate to be born in places and at times of peace in our own back yards so to speak. I have two of Khaled Hosseini's books but, as yet, I've never managed to get into them although I did start The Kite Runner once but gave up.

      Delete
  8. Not much scope for such dancing in Lewis or indeed here at the moment. Mind you, most of the north of Scotland is on fire at the moment, and all in the name of being able to kill even more wee birdies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather on Lewis has been brilliant for at least three weeks Marcel: the best in Britain apparently. Don't get me started on hunting for sport!

      Delete