Saturday 27 April 2013

Clouds

In a comment on a post recently Monica mentioned clouds.  I can't actually recall which post it was on.  However it did start me thinking. about clouds so I thought I'd do a post on them given that the last few days have seen wonderful cloud formations and light here as high winds and fronts have moved through. 

New Zealand is known in Maori as Aotearoa. This is now accepted in both languages and appears in the official title of many organisations.  The usual translation of Aotearoa is The Land of the Long White Cloud (from Ao (cloud), tea (white) and roa (long)). However as with many place names the origin cannot be certain and is bound up with Maori mythology.   New Zealand is made up of two long relatively narrow islands with a spine of mountain ranges.  Those ranges are often topped with cloud: a long white cloud.

A front moves across.  Over the far ranges a long white cloud can just be seen right along the tops.
Not quite lenticular clouds I don't think.  Next year I must get myself a book on clouds.
Do you see what I see?
It really was like this!  Sunset behinds me reflected in front of me.

10 comments:

  1. have you changed cameras? I have noticed much better colour.

    Lenticular....I would say so and i see a goose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Adrian, it's the same camera. I have been using Photomatix more though. A goose?..hmmm.

      Delete
  2. Flying pig? ;)
    It was on a Northland beach post I commented on the long white cloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flying pig? ....Hmmmmm. Thanks Monica I remembered the comment but just couldn't recall when it was.

      Delete
  3. I love your cloud photos. My mother-in-law showed me a book on clouds that she had gotten at a National Trust shop. We left the room for a MINUTE and we got back, the dog had chewed a good bit of it to pieces! Naughty terrier!
    Hope you have a nice flight. Which way will your plane go? Since you are on the other side of the world from where you are going, I just wondered...
    And I have no idea what you see in that cloud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay. The National Trust shop? I'll bear that in mind. I shall post later this evening on the flight details. All will be revealed but it looks as though I'm the only one that sees what I see.

      Delete
  4. You could hand in the 2nd shot for proof that UFOs really exist :-)
    The last one is breathtakingly, heartstring-tuggingly beautiful!
    I'll try and remember the bit about the "land of the long white cloud". It sounds like something that could come up in the pub quiz...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More pub-quiz information Meike. I do hope one of these tit-bits comes in useful eventually.

      I'm so pleased that you found emotional pleasure in the last photo. That's as great a compliment as I could wish for.

      Delete