Saturday 4 February 2012

A Bit of This and That

Yesterday was a Very Good Day.  Not that the very indifferent weather played any part in that.  Katherine and Keith came for a long lunch - excellent, knowledgeable and witty company always makes me feel happy.  Then I spent some time with Catriona whilst doing a few more tweaks on the laptop before Wendy and Martin got home.  Then The Family came for dinner (and we watched an episode of Downton Abbey) and I finally fell into bed earlier than usual to catch up with some sleep.

When K and K were here two birds visited The Cottage: a Fantail and a Kingfisher.  Fantails visit frequently and are quite happy to come within a few feet of you to catch insects.  However they are constantly on the move and photographing them is extremely difficult.  The best I could manage yesterday was:

Fantail on The Cottage deck
Fantail on the opposite side of The Paddock
I had better luck with the Kingfisher although the dull light and the fact that it was taken through a double-glazed window didn't make the best of it.


I also received some help identifying a Dragonfly which had died in The Cottage after having, presumably, chased a fly inside with a view to having a meal.  We think that it may be a Ranger Dragonfly (Procordulia smithii).  If it is then it would appear to be unusual in this area.




16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian. It would have been nice to have some sun on him but, hye, one can't have everything.

      Delete
  2. The wings on the dragonfly are amazing.

    They look so fragile it's unbelievable that they actually work.

    SP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem pretty hardy creatures despite their beautiful delicacy.

      Delete
  3. Graham, because I always have to enlarge your blog to be able to read the text, I often miss about 1/3 to the left of your pictures. This time I was reminded of the fact by seeing only the blurry nothing (and nothing of the blurry bird!) in the first photo... As you well know this has not stopped me from stalking you for years anyway (and is not likely to) but while I have it in mind... Is there a way you coud possibly increase the size of the font you're using (without too much trouble)?
    I agree with SP about the dragonfly wings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. Before it gets too confusing: it is of course the RIGHT side of the photos that I miss when I enlarge. (It disappears in under the sidebar.) Sorry. I have this problem with left and right ever since twelve years ago circumstances forced me to become more ambidextrous and use my left hand more and the right one less!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Verdana font. I was using 14pt and I've increased it to 16. That appears quite large on the 15" screen of my Mac and, oddly, even larger on the 9" screen of my notebook. I don't loose any of the picture on either computer. I wonder if anyone else has problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham. The change does make a difference for me.
      I'm afraid it goes beyond my understanding to figure out why this happens (as it does for me) with certain layouts (like yours), but not with others. With some, like my own, if I keep enlargning, it is the sidebar that disappears (if it's on the right). With yours, the sidebar remains but the pictures creep under it. With others again (can't remember now whose) the pictures go over, covering the sidebar instead (while the main text remains within its space).

      Delete
    2. What browser do you use?

      Delete
    3. Usually Firefox. But it's just the same in Windows Internet Explorer (just checked).

      Delete
    4. I've just done a post on the issue. I've tested it on all my browsers and can't replicate your problem but I want to know if others are having problems.

      Delete
  6. It was a lovely lunch, Geeb. Really super, and very good to see you in (one of) your natural habitats. Folks, can you believe, that kingfisher was spotted from sitting at his lunch table! Although of course telephoto'ed here. A lovely spot and a really charming home and host.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe shucks. You say the nicest things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kingfisher and the dragonfly shots are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, this kingy is more fabulous... OSNZ Facebook page too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honoured Katherine. No problem at all.

      Delete