Thursday 1 December 2011

Anna and The King

When I was about 12 I went to see the film The King and I.  I think I must have fallen in love with Deborah Kerr because I went to see it six times!  Tonight whilst I was ironing and cooking for tomorrow I watched Anna and The King on DVD.  I know that I've had the opportunity to watch it before when on flights but I never have.  What a film!  I was mesmerised by the costumes, the scenery, by the acting, by the story and, in fact, by just about everything.  And when it ended I had a slightly damp handkerchief.  If you haven't already done so then might I suggest that you watch it.
Quotes: 

King Mongkut to Anna: When a woman who has much to say says nothing, her silence can be deafening. 

King Chulalongkorn (King Mongkut's son) at the end of the film:  It is always surprising how small a part of life is taken up by meaningful moments. Most often they are over before they start although they cast a light on the future and make the person who originated them unforgettable. Anna had shined such a light on Siam.

5 comments:

  1. You brought back memories Graham. I absolutely loved that film! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Anna and the King on DVD recorded from TV a few years ago. I do remember that I was both impressed by and liked it. Maybe time to rewatch it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll go for the original version GB.

    I saw it as a child too and loved Deborah Kerr's sticky out dresses.

    I bet I could still sing all the songs too.

    SP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can clearly remember the first time I saw that film. Loved "We kiss in the shadow" - and still do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful film. I used to try and whistle the whistling bit from 'When-ever I feel Afraid' unsuccessfully :-)
    James Taylor did a lovely alternate version of 'Getting to Know You'.
    Here it is:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7E8dC2g_XA

    ReplyDelete