Friday 25 February 2011

Thankful Thursday

It's actually just after 0600 Friday.  I forgot yesterday was Thursday until I was just getting into bed and  I wasn't inclined to switch the computer on again.   As I lay down I wondered just what this week had brought which could possibly make anyone here in New Zealand thankful about anything.  After a night broken by nightmares and cramp I woke finally earlier than I'd intended and realised that there are still so many things about which I (and, after all, this blog is my view of life) should be thankful.  The first, and most insignificant, of these is that such broken nights and cramps are fairly rare for me.  I have friends who rarely get a good night's sleep for a multitude of reasons.

I'm thankful that Jaz will soon be coming home.

I'm sad beyond words for what is happening in Christchurch but even in that situation one has to be thankful that we live in a country which can cope with such a disaster and be thankful for the huge amount of help which has arrived from around the world. 

10 comments:

  1. To be able to still be thankful for "small things" in the midst of great trouble is often what helps us get through - isn't it? ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being thankful for small things is sometimes the only way one can keep going in the face of such tragedy. I wish you in NZ better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been thankful all week. We are alive and free and not trapped in rubble. Our house survived. We have gas and we can feast on the freezer without guilt. The water is back on and we can boil it. We are adapting to life without power. We have petrol for the car and can visit friends to charge phone and relax. We are on holiday as we work in the cordon. We still have jobs. The frequent aftershocks are manageable. We are supporting the family through fear and stress. We are grateful for the support of the world and experts here.
    And yes, Jaz is going home. :)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does help to pause in the midst of darkness and shine a light of thankfulness, however small it may be. Perhaps soon it can be fanned into a brighter flame of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fi does sum it up perfectly. We who have so much to be thankful for somehow don't appreciate what we have as much as those who have come so close to losing everything, including life.
    I so admire her spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fi does sum it up perfectly. We who have so much to be thankful for somehow don't appreciate what we have as much as those who have come so close to losing everything, including life.
    I so admire her spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Living in California, I have been through several earthquakes, so I know the panic and unsettlement when things around you look like a war zone, and people are missing or wounded.
    It DOES effect one's sleep, but yes, I understand your thankfulness. Remember, relief and peace of mind will come:):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all.

    I've come to realise how important just reminding myself to be thankful is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mindfulness is very important, and a growing movement - Glad you and your friends are well, so sad to see the pictures of the earth-quake, Sir, and hearing of the sad losses - Take good care of yourself, GB! x

    ReplyDelete