Wednesday 23 February 2011

The Morning After

It's 6am.  At midnight last night I received a text from Christchurch and my friend there and she's ok.  Thankfully she was not in central Christchurch and is staying in part of Christchurch where I have acquaintances with whom I've stayed when I have been there.  So I slept albeit fitfully. I woke occasionally with the horror still in my mind.  This morning the television is back on and the media are now beginning to get to that stage when they have to fill every minute.  This leads to questions such as "What do you think the final death toll may be?"  As the Mayor said questions like that apart from seeking totally speculative and unavailable information verge on the tasteless at this stage.

I'm out today at 8am.  I'm glad because I would be unable not to watch the television or at least keep it on.  As it is some of the questions the media are asking of the people who are trying to effect rescues are just infuriatingly inane.  Questions like "It's getting light now.  Will that help you?"  Pardon.  Did he really ask that?

9 comments:

  1. I can't believe that an earthquake hit so close to home, for you. I wonder if there are any other NZ friendships made through blogging who may have been affected. It's so tragic, Graham...I'm so sorry that you were in worry for your friend and that there may be others you know in turmoil from it.

    I've not watched the news, I rarely do, so all that I've read or heard has been straight from you. I am not a fan of the dramatized news, and it seems to all be dramatized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched our evening news on TV. 20 min on the political situation in Libya. 3-4 min on Christchurch but I guess had it been a full half hour it wouldn't really have been all that much more informative at this stage. Just now a few pictures probably say more than many words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya! The question of the media and daft questions greatly concerns me. Also the obsession with numbers. I listened to the SE Asian Tsunami reporting on Boxing Day 2004, almost from the start, and was struck by the utter pointlessness of this. It seems bizarre that in an age where so much visual media is available that the spoken word and the interviews with officials has such prominence. Good to hear you are OK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate too was very upset when I had a text from her - having left Christchurch a couple of days before the earthquake - she had been trying to get in touch with friends in Christchurch but had been unable to do so. She said she couldn't bear to watch the scenes on t.v. Why do they spend so much time showing other people's misery? I do so hope that when I hear from her sometime today, she will have good news about her friends.

    We are so glad that your friends are safe Graham. Love x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. It's 2230 Wednesday and I'm watching the current situation. It's as bad as it was when it started. Worse in fact.

    Good to hear from you Fred. The obsession with numbers seems to have abated but when no-one could have had any idea at all in the first few hours the media elicited the comment from the Mayor to the effect that the obsession bordered on the obscene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Spesh. We overlapped in our comments. Getting information is not easy. I have friends here in Napier who've not been able to contact friends and relations in Christchurch. Text seems to be the best means. Phone calls are now getting through in some areas.

    It's chaos. The infrastructure damage is absolutely immense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very sorry. It is sad.
    I am glad to hear that your friend is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep. Am in Auckland now and have been for 24 hours. But, weirdly, the ground is still rolling as if I'm still there. Account coming when I get around to it.

    ReplyDelete