Sunday 20 February 2011

Looking For Wendy.

Visualise a man walking into a good ladies clothes shop in Napier's Emerson Street.  Perhaps I should have said a good clothes shop for ladies.  I can't actually vouch for the goodness of the ladies who shop there although I'm sure they are beyond reproach.

Anyway, after that digression, I will continue.

I walked into the shop and was immediately asked if I was looking for my wife.  Not my wife, no.  I looked round.  There were two customers visible.  Neither of them was Wendy.  "Is there a customer in the changing rooms?"  Affirmative.  Lady with blond hair.  Promising.    Manageress to invisible person:  "Are you expecting your, er,  husband?"  Voice from the invisible blond "Is he good looking?"  Pokes her head round the curtain.  "Yes, he'll do."  Raucous laughter from the assembled multitude (ok the assembled five ladies present).   The previously invisible blond put her spectacles on.  I beat a retreat.

5 comments:

  1. And hardened by the experience, you put the story out on the internet to be laughed at by an even bigger assembly of ladies (and gentlemen). You brave man! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gem. A wonderful gem. Winner of my short story competition if I was ever to hold one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Hmm. Where did that old pic come from? Oh, I see, from a very old proto-blog of mine.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can picture it all! And join in the laughter of the assembled multitude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I found you. It's been raining, snowing, raining today. I needed some brightening up! Thank you, sir! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete