Tuesday 15 February 2011

A Close Encounter

with Short-finned Eels Anguilla australis  in the river at the Flip'n Bear Café near Katikati:


A spectre from the deep
The Methuselah of the deep (well the shallow actually but it doesn't sound so dramatic).
See, even eels can rock climb
Competition
Biggest wins
Jaws
Some people will do anything for a photo

and some will do anything for a piece of bread
Here's looking at you, kid

Methuselah again with his crown
I think this is one too many eel photos
Electric eel?

5 comments:

  1. Those must be pretty unique photos? Unless every tourist does that, what do I know... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great. Are they edible.....they actually look more so than the pancake.....that really was revolting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ... if you're into eels! Mind you, I like them smoked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are such great shots! They are making me feel all tingly and wriggly all over again. My fingers were twitching and I found myself laughing nervously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know whether every tourist photographs them, Monica, but I think there's a good chance that mine won't be the only photos of those eels on a blog.

    Yes, Adrian, there is no shortage of ways of eating short-finned eels. As for the pancake..... One that size would floor me just by being in front of me.

    Smoke, perhaps, Pauline but personally I'll leave them in the river. When I was in Berlin they used to sell small smoke eels from the riverside and you just unzipped them and ate them there and then. I never could do it.

    Yes, Katherine, I think that that was one of the most memorable things I have done in quite a while.

    ReplyDelete