Wednesday 16 February 2011

Bits and Bobs in Tauranga

I can't believe it was only last week that I visited Tauranga and Miranda.  It seems as if my visit was an age ago but perhaps its just that so much has happened since.   Certainly the visit has been imprinted on my mind as enjoyable and memorable.  We seemed to do so much and so far all I've blogged about is kayaking, some of the Miranda experience and the eels.  So here are a few more bits and bobs.

A bookshop closing down - always a shame  
Eclectic Friend took me into Tauranga CBD (Central Business District and what would at one time have been called the city or town centre).  I was astonished by the lack of shops when compared with, for example, Palmerston North and the fact that many were closed or closing down. 

Then I discovered that Tauranga has a huge out of town shopping complex.  There is, however, a large café culture which I always find warming and a modern, airy art gallery which I was shown around.  It's good when you are with a guide who knows about a subject.  I was very taken with some abstract three dimentional pieces but I can't recall the name of the artist nor can I identify him (I'm sure it was a him) from the gallery's website.  I'll try and remember to come back to that one.

Perhaps the most fascinating and enjoyable thing I saw that morning was The Elms.  The Elms historic house museum, the oldest European heritage site in the Bay of Plenty, is an essential stop for all visitors to Tauranga. From this traditional English home, Maori were given the opportunity to learn about Christianity, and were educated in reading and writing, as well as agricultural and domestic skills.  Unfortunately photography inside is forbidden.  Why, oh why?  Flash need not be used these days.  So here are a few of the outside which, frankly, give only a tiny idea of the place.
The Elms, Front view

The Elms, Rear view
The Library - the oldest surviving mission building on the property - has changed little inside or out since it was built in 1839.
Also in the CBD was this restaurant which I just couldn't resist:

Intrepid, addictive dining!?  Hmmm.

8 comments:

  1. What a pity you weren't allowed to take pictures inside. Even if there are pictures at the museum website that's never the same as taking your own photos of the details that really catch your interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is to do with copywrite. it is at Whitby Philosophical Societies museum. I had to take my pictures there at closing time. They were very accommodating. I gave them a memory stick with the images I took.
    It's good to have a productive week.......makes up for all the bad ones.
    This is going to sound a wee bit smarmy.......I think I can tell when you are happy from your pictures. these are happy ones as were the Sting concert and the eels.
    There is also a relationship between word verification and the length of the comment. I hate word verification....'manicemo'. unnecessary and ridiculous.
    I'm tempted to save a weeks worth and string them together....let Google translator sort that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a number of issues with photographing inside 'stately homes' etc. Fabric fade by flash is usually quoted. The English National Trust generally allows photography. The Scottish NT does not and were quite snotty about it when I asked at head office. In my experience Art Galleries don't usually for exhibitions involving currently copyrighted works but do for their permanent collections.

    I've been told not to take photographs in bus stations (security quoted). Eh? Terrorists can use more subtle devices than a subtle hand held crossover camera.

    Like you I don't like WV and dislike comment moderation because you have no idea who has commented before and comments sometimes look disjointed and contradictory. The problem is spammers. CJ seems always to have had a problem when he's turned comment moderation off. I've never had a problem and I've never used comment moderation. So I've turned WV off too. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrian: Smarmy? You? I don't think so. And I take it as a compliment. Thank you. You may have a point too. I'm a generally happy person though. Mind you as the only place in NZ with rain this morning I could be persuaded to have a little bit of grey in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't blame me.The only spammer I have is through a CJ link I have it to this day. Dump em in the spam box. Takes a year with AOL. Takes two days with Google but one has to check ones spam box for stuff you want to read.
    We are just in from the highest pub in the UK. A brilliant day. I'm full of duck so are the dogs so all is happy here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only had the occasional spam comment on a blog. I have almost no email spam except on my travel email account where I get masses. Fortunately Google filters it all very effectively indeed. For some curious reason CJ tells me that all my emails end up in his spam box. That must tell me/him something but I'm not quite sure what.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Adrian, there is a difference in some of your photos that shout cheerfulness.
    Don't know if I'd advertise dining as intrepid, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps being French they didn't know exactly what 'Intrepid' can connote.

    But, now having looked it up since writing that, it seems it comes from the French ' intrépide', meaning 'not alarmed'. Hmmm. Perhaps they meant 'Be adventurous and eat our snails', etc.

    ReplyDelete