Tuesday 15 December 2009

Welcome to Whangarei

I had a wonderful weekend up in Northland.  Never having been North of Auckland before I wasn't sure what to expect.  I've see a great deal of the country from Auckland south to its southern tip on Stewart Island and the one thing that anyone will tell you is that this is a country of considerable variety and beauty:  glaciers and fjords, sub-tropical rain forests and scrubland, volcanos live and dead, long sandy beaches and sea cliffs.  The variety never ends.  So I really had no idea what to expect in Northland except, of course, the inevitable beauty.  The hop on a Beech 20 seat twin turbo-prop from Auckland to Whangarei takes 35 minutes officially but, in reality, it took considerably less.


Coming into Whangarei from the South I had my first glimpse of what I came to know as the Uppity Downity Mountains.  The hill under the arrow became particularly significant.
 
Welcome to Whangarei and my weekend's adventure

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear about the hill! Looks like interesting landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shot of the Uppity Downity Mountains!

    ReplyDelete