Friday 18 December 2009

Mangroves in Northland

Just as we left Whangarei there were mangrove areas.  I've seen mangrove swamps on TV before but never in real life.  There is something really cool about them.  What I hadn't realised until I read Dawn Treader's comment (this, obviously, is an addition to my original posting) is that mangroves are not a single genus of plant but a are trees and shrubsthat grow in saline coastal habitats in the tropics and sub-tropics and the many species of trees and shrubs adapted to saline conditions are not all closely related, and the term "mangrove" may be used for all of them or more narrowly only for the mangrove family of plants.  See the Wikipedia entry for more information.


 

2 comments:

  1. Looking at these I realised I really had no idea what mangrove is. I've only read about mangrove swamps. I think I always assumed it was one special kind of tree that was called mangrove... Looked it up in Wikipedia now and learned that mangrove can be used for a whole range of different trees and shrubs adapted to saline conditions.

    Anyway your pictures are beautiful, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monica. I thought that mangroves were a specific tree until I read your comment and read the Wikipedia article. I've now added a link into the posting. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete