Saturday 11 April 2009

The Scariness of Trees

Ever since I can remember I have been scared of forests. I can now cope with deciduous forests but it would take courage that I don't possess to get me to walk through a closely packed coniferous forest on my own and through any coniferous forst at night. The journey between The Cottage and The House involves negotiating a tree-lined drive. When The Cottage was built in 2007 and I came to live here (previously I lived on the outskirts of Napier) the journey at night was a trial for me and I only negotiated it with the help of outside floodlights on the House and Cottage and a torch (which could light up the whole of Napier). Tonight as I wandered down in the brilliant moonlight (without a torch and no floodlights) it ocurred to me that apart from the dangers of tripping over an unseen hazard or missimg my step I was no longer concerned about the darkness and the trees. After all these years......

3 comments:

  1. That's good news. Perhaps one day I'll not be scared of water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fear of trees is a deeply primordial one, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very good news indeed. I admire your courage! (What can I say, I am a wimp...)

    ReplyDelete