Saturday 11 April 2009

Nashi and Parmesan

Friends from Scotland introduced me some years ago to the delight of eating pears with parmesan cheese; something I have done ever since. A few weeks ago I was given a couple of nashi. A nashi, for those who are ignorant of the term, is a fruit resulting from crossing an apple with a pear. It seems generally to be met with scorn amongst those with whom I am acquainted. I was advised to eat it cold from the fridge. Yesterday I had one with shaved parmesan. The texture of the nashi was similar to that of a Packham pear but without any flavour. Or perhaps the flavour is so subtle that it eluded my tastebuds.

5 comments:

  1. My oldest son loves pears. I think I shall introduce him to this...we'll try it and I'll let you know what he thinks :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm told by the Nashi Queen that obviously the pear won't taste of anything if you eat it straight from the fridge. I don't know what's obvious about it but I'm told it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Nashi - haven't eaten them cold though - just at room temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just in case you didn't know - nashi is Japanese for pear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the information. I'd never heard of a nashi before and thought that this would be a novelty about which to blog. The information about eating them cold came from an orchardist. But then he wasn't a great fan anyway.

    ReplyDelete