Wednesday 21 January 2009

A Most Rewarding Day

I am blessed with a happy life. Every so often a day comes along that takes that happiness to a higher level even if for only a few hours. Today was one of those days.

I have been very restrained this visit but those who know me or have been reading my blog for the last few years will know of my great love for the game of croquet. A youngster joined the club earlier in the year who I felt from day one had a huge amount of potential. I know her Grandmother who plays for another club in Palmerston North (about 3 1/2 hours drive away). I used to be a fencing coach (so feel that I have some coaching skills) but have no croquet coaching experience nor qualification (other than that I am a good - and modest - player) so felt reluctant to offer her assistance. Her Dad approached to say that her Grandmother had suggested that they ask me to help her. So they did. I was just so thrilled.

Today we had our first session. I was able to identify some areas for improvement but, more importantly, I think I was able to show her that she had those abilities and get her to believe in them. After the coaching session we played two games. I had to give her a lot of free shots because of the difference in handicaps. That, of course, brought us onto a level playing field. She beat me 7:5 7:5 with me giving no quarter and playing some very good croquet. Which told me and her quite a lot. If she sticks at it and develops her talent and self belief in two years time she can be better than I am. I look forward to that day.

In the meantime I will bask in the happiness of the moment and the knowledge that in some tiny way I might have helped her on her way.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Graham...you've also helped me on mine, and not with croquet.

    When I read "more importantly, I think I was able to show her that she had those abilities and get her to believe in them", my heart was touched.

    God's been working in my life to believe in myself, to have confidence (not only in Him, I trust He knows THAT I have...confidence in Him; but to know I can have it in myself). In the last two months, He has opened my eyes to see that I have a weakness to fill in. I'll have to write about this today, I suppose ;o).

    Also...your last sentence made me smile. Touching the life of a girl who needs the support that you're able to give her will create monumental changes to the both of you ;o).

    Bless your heart ♥

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete