Friday 2 November 2007

My first night

At night the Cottage feels very isolated. There are no lights visible from any window and no light pollution. To stand on the deck (the verandah) is to invite molestation from the myriad of beasties attracted either by outside lights of the Cottage or the lights through the windows. There are no vehicles and the Magpies which bounce around on the roof by day have gone to bed. Wendy and Martin's house is no more than 50 metres away but it is totally invisible. All is still. All is peace.

My head hits the pillow and I am instantly transported into 5 hours of deep, deep sleep.
Whether it is my personal call of nature or the call of the blackbird singing outside my window that wakes me at 0520 I'm not sure. But I return to bed and listen (despite the double glazing) to the incredible cacophony outside. The countryside can be a very noisy place. I fall asleep again to wake at 0645. I have to be up because the Council Building Inspector is calling at 0715 to do an inspection. Yes 0715, really. And he was a few minutes early!

He goes and I sit on the deck with my Muesli and contemplate my world and the day to come. There is so much to do, so many people to see, so many calls to make. I count my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment